Festival of STEM & Entrepreneurship
Date: 19-23 February 2018
Venue: University of Wollongong’s, Innovation Campus
The University of Wollongong has been successful in securing a grant under the Women in STEM and Entrepreneurship (WISE) Program, to conduct a Festival of STEM & Entrepreneurship held from the Monday 19- Friday 23 February 2018. The Festival will be held at the Innovation Campus, coordinated & hosted by the Science Centre and supported by iAccelerate and the Sustainable Buildings Research Centre (SBRC).
The Festival program involves a mix of hands-on STEM activities, presentations and tours delivered by key stakeholders from across the University during 2 x 90 minute sessions. Primarily, female mathematicians, technologists, engineers and scientists will serve as strong role models to the 2,500 Year 7-8 High School students over five days. Students will be given the tools, resources and mindset to think creatively, build skills in critical thinking, communication (including how to pitch their final product) and empower them to believe that they too, can achieve in STEM and Entrepreneurship.
- Encouraging science literacy in early high school years. Targeted to select Year 7 & 8 students.
- Placed are limited per high school with a focus on high percentage of females attending.
- Free fun filled day with non competitive hands on activities during 2 x 90min sessions.
- Transportation from school to the iC will be arranged and included in the festival organisation for each high school.
- Students to bring their own lunch for the day.
- All material and resources for each activity will be provided. Enclosed shoes and school uniform must be worn.
For more information please contact Melanie Hart, Project Officer
Future proofing STEM education!