2018 Festival of STEM & Entrepreneurship
NOW SEEKING EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
We are pleased to announce the inaugural UOW Festival of STEM & Entrepreneurship scheduled for February 2018 and we seek participation from academics, researchers and entrepreneurs at UOW.
The University of Wollongong has been successful in securing a grant under the Women in STEM and Entrepreneurship (WISE) Program to conduct the Festival in February 2018. The Festival will be held at the Innovation Campus, coordinated and hosted by the Science Centre & Planetarium and co-hosted by iAccelerate, AIIM, SBRC and on the campus grounds.
The Festival will feature an Ambassador and key stakeholders from across the University who will deliver an extensive program of STEM and entrepreneurship based activities. Primarily, female mathematicians, technologists, engineers and scientists will serve as strong role models to 2,500 school students over five days to inspire all students, particularly female, to pursue a future in STEM education, entrepreneurship and careers.
While the students are taking part, Teachers and Careers Advisors will attend a series of STEM careers presentations, delivered by UOW staff including some of the 2016 UOW Women of Impact. Presentations will provide up-to-date curriculum and career information and reinforce the idea that women have a major and essential role in STEM and entrepreneurship.
As an activity presenter/facilitator you can expect:
An unparalleled opportunity to engage with the potential STEM leaders of tomorrow
- Media exposure for your research/project/discipline area
- Facilities to hold the activities will include: the Science Centre, AIIM, SBRC, iAccelerate, Ocean View Room and marquees set-up on the western lawn
- Provision of materials and equipment necessary to deliver the activity
- The opportunity to encourage teachers and career counsellors to support students in STEM and entrepreneurship
- The opportunity to promote gender equality in STEM and entrepreneurship
What is required of you:
- A hands-on activity that must engage a group of up to 30 x Year 7 & 8 students
- Two groups will rotate through the activity each day
- The activity needs to run for 100 minutes with a 10min break halfway through
- The activity must be a STEM or entrepreneurship based activity delivered and supported by a minimum of 50% women
- Preparation and deliver of the activity by your team during the Festival from 19th - 23rd February 2018
If you are interested in this unique opportunity please provide:
- The title of your activity
- A brief description of the activity (250 words max)
- How the activity relates to STEM and/or Entrepreneurship
- The lead researcher/academic/staff member and team members involved
- An indication of the facility, materials and equipment required to deliver the activity
Expressions of interest should be emailed to: Stuart Creal, Director of Science Centre & Planetarium, email@example.com by Friday 11th August 2017
The Event Committee will consider the EOIs and advise all applicants by Friday 25th August 2017.
Future proofing STEM education!